All you need to know about the B1 and B2 US Visa

B1 and B2 US Visa

The rules and regulation policy of the US are anything but simple as there are more than 180 types of US visas available. You’ll be so confused and overwhelmed that you won’t know where to begin. The US B1/B2 visa provides you with the easiest options for entering the US for either tourism or business reasons.

If you don’t know much about these visas B1/B2, here’s help for you as we’ve compiled a list of FAQs on these visa types.

  • What is a B1/B2 visa?

If you’re wondering what is a B1/B2 US visa, you should know that it is a conventional visa that can be used for tourism and business purposes. It is a non-immigrant, temporary visa that is usually affixed to your passport.

  • What are the features of B1 and B2 Visas?

B1 and B2 visas are commonly referred to as B-visas and these are the most used visas for a wide range of purposes. While the B1 visa is issued for business trips for a short while, the B2 visa is issued for traveling and tourism purposes.

The usual reasons for applying for this set of B visas are visit to relatives, family and friends residing in the US and going for short-time business trips. You may have to visit the US for negotiations, business discussions, site inspections and meetings. Nevertheless, one point to remember is that holders of B visas aren’t allowed to work or receive salary in the US.

Anyone who visits the US with an intention to work (even part-time) should apply for an E visa. With the E visa, you can invest in shops, businesses and also on the country’s investment assets.

  • What are the advantages and disadvantages of B-visas?

The fact that they are simple to use and fast to receive make them special among all other US visas. It is in fact believed that obtaining a B visa is much easier than getting the other visas like the E visa or an L visa.

For friendly nations, the US provides a VWP (Visa Waiver Program). Under this program, the citizens of these friendly counties may enter the US and stay there for 90 days without even owning a B visa. But they have to get authorization via ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) before traveling.

  • What sort of activities are allowed under a B1 visa?

For all those who are traveling to the US for short-term business reasons on the B1 visa or even under the VWP can get involved in the following activities:

  • Conferences, business discussions, meetings with trade partners
  • Business-related negotiations
  • Tours, research and inspections for business purposes
  • Attendance in business-related conferences and meetings
  • Buying materials, products in the country
  • Testifying in the US courts of law
  • What are the activities allowed under B2 Visa?

For all those who travel to the US for tourism reasons on a B2 visa or under the VWP program may get involved in the following activities.

  • Tourism related activities in the US and in the US islands
  • Undergoing treatment, examination, surgery at medical institutions of the US
  • Staying at homes of relatives, family, acquaintances, friends in the US
  • Participating in exhibitions, trade shows and other US events
  • Partaking in exchange programs, meetings in the US organized by social institutions

So, if you plan to stay put in the US for not more than 90 days for either short-term business or tourism reasons, apply for ESTA. However, if you’re not able to get ESTA authorization, apply for B1/B2 visas.

Leave a reply